[sldev] [SVC] What is a Grid? (Searching for a hard definition)

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) q at lindenlab.com
Thu Feb 5 09:50:14 PST 2009

And whether or not SL strictly fits some external definition of "grid
computing", we use the term Grid within Second Life, which is what the
OP was asking for.

In that context, the Second Life grid is the integrated system that
provides a networked collection of servers, some of which are
simulators that implement our presentation of land. Those are arranged
in the form of a rectangular mesh (but yes, it would be possible to
have a "grid" with only one simulator in it). In addition, the SL grid
provides a set of other services, including presence, inventory
management, and asset store, that integrate with but are independent
of the simulators.