[sldev] Build instructions for MS: python 2.6?

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Fri Feb 6 10:42:23 PST 2009

On 2/6/09 3:19 AM, Alissa Sabre wrote:
> Rob:
>
>> Looking at the CMake file will give you a list of the
>> supported versions;
>> http://svn.secondlife.com/trac/linden/browser/trunk/indra/cmake/DirectX.cmake
>>

> Just a curiosity: What do you mean by "supported versions"?  Do you
> Lindens test all combinations of source distributions with all listed
> versions of DirectX SDK?  (I guess you don't. :-)

Yeah, I assume we don't either.  In this context, all I meant was
"versions which you can install it in the default location and expect it
to still work".

> BTW, I've been using Aug. 2006 for about 2 years for SL development,
> and I have experienced no trouble caused by that (Except that I need
> to rewrite DirectX.cmake.)

Hmm...I wonder if I should encourage you to submit a patch for that.  I
kinda think we should add the older path if it still works, because that
just increases the odds that a first build will "just work".   However,
my understanding is that outdated DirectX drivers can result in some
ugly behavior.  Still, if you can vouch that it works just fine, that's
one point in favor of adding it.

Other Lindens have an opinion on this one?  I don't want to waste
Alissa's time if we wouldn't incorporate it.

Rob