[sldev] Making the build instructions better

Robin Cornelius robin.cornelius at gmail.com
Thu Jan 1 06:13:52 PST 2009

Alissa Sabre wrote:
>> I've updated the build instructions on Linux:
>
>> Here's the umbrella page for all platforms
>
>> Currently, the page is split up into platform specific prep pages, and
>> then a general "CMake" page after that.  Michelle2's page is
>> consolidated into one big page.  Which is the better approach?
>
> I believe it's best to create per-platform pages that contain all
> information appropriate for the platform.  Also, each
> platform-specific page should show very detailed step by step
> instruction of the basic build option.  All platform-specific pages
> are organized in a same format, and information common to all
> platforms should be in all platform pages in exactly same words.

I have to agree here, even though there is duplicate information, its
not information overload when looking at a given page. Trying to combine
all platforms makes an exceedingly complex page that breaks a simple
step by step 1. 2. 3. type procedures.

Recently I was looking at overhauling my pages as they are a bit stale,
 and this was one thing that i was not overly happy about.

Robin