[sldev] [HELP] Building viewer using Visual Studio 2008, compiled through but can not run

Joy joy at cs.cmu.edu
Mon Jan 5 14:08:57 PST 2009

Hi,

I have been fighting with this problem for almost a week and I am really
desperate to finding the solution. Thank in advance for any suggestions
and tips.

environment:
Laptop: Lenovo thinkpad T61
Platform: Windows XP SP 3
Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition
Microsoft .Net framework 3.5 SP1
Microsoft DirectX SDk (Nov. 2008)
Cygwin with flex, bison, patchutil installed
Python installed outside cygwin
Cmake installed outside cygwin
Secondlife code (ver RC-1.22.4) , also tried with the latest version on
SVN.

I managed to compile and run the viewer last month.
For some reasons, I decided to re-install my windows and installed all
software from scratch.
On the new system, I thought I did the same thing to prepare for the
second life viewer compile,
but I couldn't get it running.

The compile was successful for both RelWithDebugInfo and Debug
configuration, but the binary can not be executed.

Running the debug binary ended up with an error message window:
"...\linden\indra\build-VC90\newview\Debug\secondlife-bin.exe
This application has failed to start because the application
configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the
problem"

I googled this problem and it is said that this is caused by the
SideBySide <http://www.mazecomputer.com/sxs/help/whatis.htm>, event ID
59, but I couldn't figure out the solution to this.
The dependency walk shows that the binary is looking for "MSVCR80D.dll"
and "DWMAPI.dll" which are missing.

As I was able to build and run the viewer before, I guess I must have
missed something or done something stupid this time.
But after digging every corner I could think of for a week, I am really
hopeless on this.

I really hope you could give me some help.

Best,

Joy