[sldev] Alpha Blending Settings Included in Texture Metadata

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 14:23:28 PST 2009

On 2009-01-16, at 12:29, Soft wrote:
> If you want to know more, google for "deph sorting translucent
> polygons" and you'll find dozens of papers and probably a thousand
> griping game developers. Also this page that describes the problem
> pretty handily. The viewer implements the first few things on the page
> exactly. http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/omniv/alpha_sorting.html

Be that as it may, the alpha problem became radically worse with
Windlight. The previous rendering engine did a much better job of
dealing with this problem... my best guess as to the difference is
that Windlight bases the sorting on the center of the object, and the
old one used the center of the face, in choosing which face to render
in front. At least that's what it *looks* like is happening.