[sldev] building from src: Can't find settings_files.xml

Lear Cale lear.cale at gmail.com
Fri Jan 30 14:40:55 PST 2009

I'm building from source, latest available release (1.21), having trouble,
using MSVS 2005 Express.

The instructions don't say how to build the target using MSVS 2005 Express,
so I guessed: use File -> Open Project/solution, navigate to
"linden/indra/build-VC80/viewer.vcproj
linden/indra/build-VC80/viewer.vcproj", open that, select RelWithDebInfo,
and build.

Ran into the llkdu.dll problem.  Pulled one from my viewer, for now.  I find
two different "solutions" for this problem in the wiki but they're
inaccurate or out of date.

Solution built.  Wen to run it; and MSVS doesn't know what the executable
file is.  I figure it must be
"\linden\indra\build-VC80\newview\relwithdebinfo\secondlife-bin.exe" and try
that.

It can't find fmod.dll.  I find that and copy it into the same directory as
the exe file.

Now when I run the viewer (from MSVS) I get an error from the viewer.  It
can't find linden\indra\build-VC80\app_setting\settings_files.xml

Has anyone actually built and run this thing using MSVS 2005 Express?

I'm an experienced software engineer, but I work on Unix development
systems, for embedded software.  I'm a newb to MSVS.

Oh: two places that list dependencies for DXSDK and MS Server SDK conflict.
One says to use latest versions, the other says to use earlier ones.  Which
is correct?  I'm using latest.  My guess is this has nothing to do with my
problems, but it would be nice to resolve this contradiction.

Thanks
Lear