[sldev] RFC: design proposal for VWR-1071

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Sun Jul 19 10:48:13 PDT 2009

Alissa Sabre wrote:
>> * Clearing the list: I was thinking about adding a new button to the
>> Preferences panel, probably under Network (since there's already a
>> "clear cache" button there) that says "clear login history".
>> ("Clearly" this will require i18n translation; maybe this is a good
>> time to ask how that's usually handled for the project?)
>>

> Translation of the new UI texts are handled as follows:
>
> - The patch set that add a new feature should include patch file against
>   the English (en_us) version of appropriate XUI files.
>
> - If you are fluent in other viewer-supported langugaes, you can optionally
>   add patches against the language version.
>
> - I suggest you attach a note to your patch set, saying the fact that
>   the patch changes XUI file and the translation are missing.  (I
>   don't think this is a widely accepted convention...)
>
> - Later on, the community translators will translate the new labels
>   into other languages, after your patch is merged into the source
>   repository.
>
> This process assumes your change to the XUI file is small and is a set
> of simple additions of new elements.  I don't think we have an agreed
> process on handling the case that large parts of existing XUI files
> are rearranged, however.

You should be able to edit the English XUI files with the same care and
consideration that you should use with C++ files. Just be sure to
- not rename any elements because code will fail if it doesn't find
elements it expects, and
- check for the existence of duplicate XUI files in the other standard
skins directories and if found, make the same modifications to them as well.

Melinda