[sldev] Body motion and facial expression tracking, Microsoft did it

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 21:35:20 PDT 2009

Carlo Wood wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 06, 2009 at 03:33:54AM +1000, Tateru Nino wrote:
>
>> Maybe it isn't really about handshakes, and more about general
>> lining-up-of-body-parts between avatars? :)
>>

> I'd implement this by tracking the *position* of the main
> points (hands, head top, mouth, shoulder, crotch, etc),
> and then define the skeleton to be the distances between
> those points.
>
> Thus, if the person recording a movement brings his/her
> hand to her mouth - that particular distance would go
> to zero.
>
> When playing back, I'd then morph the skeleton such that
> shorter distances get higher priority. Thus, a distance of
> zero becomes garanteed zero, while a distance of 1 meter
> may become 0.9 or 1.1 meter if needed. I'm sure this
> can be achieved with rather simple matrix operations.
>
> In couple animations you can simply extent this model
> with the main points of the second person. That way
> you are garanteed that a handshake results in a handshake,
> a kiss in a kiss and a fuck in a fuck.

Avatars don't occupy a common coordinate-space, however. All we /really/
know about the avatar is that it is drawn based on the position of the
dimensionless point representing the agent (and offset up to 10m or so
within a volume centered on that point). The avatar itself (AFAIK)
exists in its own independent coordinate-space, sans reference to the
common coordinate-space in which other agents are positioned, and with
even less relation to the coordinate-spaces of other avatars.

As I recall, the "physical avatar" project was supposed to solve that,
but appears to be an abandoned effort.
--
Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/