[sldev] Body motion and facial expression tracking, Microsoft did it

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 07:13:45 PDT 2009

On 2009-06-07, at 08:07, Jan Ciger wrote:
> This is also why the simplistic approach with "only modifying existing
> animation and locking/weighting down joints" as Argent described
> wouldn't work - if you lock down the feet ("I am only reaching for
> things!"), you either wouldn't be able to find the solution (with the
> VRlab's solver and the balance constraint on) or it would look
> completely wrong once the object is out of arm's range and you need to
> bend over to get it.

That's WAY more sophisticated and computationally expensive than I'm
suggesting.

Imagine a canned animation having the avatar drinking a beer. The
avatar is siting on a barstool, and he's wearing the beer and a target
prim in his mouth. His upper body bends back slightly and his arm
lifts. When his hand (holding the beer) gets within a foot of the
target prim the preloaded override provided by the script starts
adjusting the elbow and shoulder by a few degrees... making the motion
move the beer to where his mouth actually is, instead of 5cm inside
his head.

That's the problem I'm interested in solving. not the much harder
problem you're talking about.

In your example, if the object is out of range nothing would happen.
The existing animation would run... so the worst case is no worse than
what we have now.