[sldev] Numbers on 32-bit vs 64-bit Linux deskop adoption

Dzonatas Sol dzonatas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 10:03:07 PDT 2009

Soft wrote:
> It would also be great to see any numbers on 32- vs 64-bit
> performance, for any of you producing 32- and 64-bit stand-alone
> viewers. 64-bit would make setup easier. It would be helpful to know
> of any other gains.

32bit systems are limited to 4GB of main memory, but many motherboards
limit that further to only 2-3GB . We can easily expect 64bit systems to
support at least 8GB of main memory. Even cheap 64bit boards support
32GB of main memory. There is alone is shows there is no way to compare
the performance of a 32bit system to a 64 bit system with a program that
is designed to work only within the limits of a 32 bit system.

One thing that can change is default cache size. If on a 64bit system,
don't limit it to 1.5 GB. =)