[sldev] Asset garbage collection and inventory (Was: Why hasn't Linden Lab implemented WRITING to NOTECARD?)

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Wed Jun 10 22:30:20 PDT 2009

Tigro Spottystripes wrote:
> kelly at lindenlab.com escreveu:
>
>> MAGIC!
>>
>> I don't know the exact details about how the current version works so
>> *please* don't respond to my answer with the million ways it could be
>> optimized or what it will miss etc.  A lot of effort and revisions have
>> gone into this.  This is extremely roughly what it does, or did at one
>> point and covers the gist of how GC on assets might work.
>>
>> * Step 1: Scan the contents of every asset, every simstate and every
>> residents inventory for anything that looks vaguely like a UUID and build
>> a list of those UUIDs.  This means the text of every script, the contents
>> of every notecard, the inventory of every item.
>> * Step 2: Delete anything not in that list, but created before the scan
>> started.
>> * Step 3: Go to step 1.
>>
>> That is an extremely simplified version of course, and it gets more
>> complicated as you work to make it more robust (find all those ids), safer
>> (don't delete straight away) and faster.
>>
>>   - Kelly
>>

> Interesting, much more comprehensive than I expected, but can you
> explain me why the client doesn't got such a thorough capability of
> reading the inventory? (the total item count for my inv varies from
> about 9k to 30k+ depending on my luck, regardless of how many items I
> add or delete) Or does the check randomly misses things in the inventory
> like the client do?
Inventory is transferred to the viewer by a not-entirely-reliable means
(something that I understand is in the throes of being replaced) - it's
possible for the viewer to wind up caching what is only a subset of your
inventory and thinking that it has it all. The full inventory is still
there, and in place on the inventory servers, but the viewer isn't
necessarily seeing it.

My understanding is that the agent inventory service is supposed to
provide an autoreliable transfer of that list to the viewer. It was
slated for Q1 2009, but appears to have slipped a little. I am honestly
quite curious as to how that's getting on.

--
Tateru Nino
http://www.massively.com/