[sldev] Option to make minimap display map data?

Feilen feilen1000 at gmail.com
Sun Jun 14 21:22:07 PDT 2009

Tateru Nino wrote:

> Melinda Green wrote:
>> Feilen wrote:
>>
>>> I've often noticed that the map displays full color incremental
>>> screenshots of an entire sim, while the minimap simply layers on grey
>>> for wherever prims are. Though this can sometimes be useful, the grey is
>>> very often skyboxes or useless data. Could there be an option to make
>>> the minmap display simple map data, for a more static, general but
>>> detailed look at the sim, rather than the current prims on display?
>>>

>> You mean like the "terrain" tab on the main map? Sure, that could be
>> done but then we start to erase the differences between main and
>> mini-map. The mini-map is more for seeing symbolic representations so I
>> suspect that's not a great idea, however it might be a good idea to only
>> draw gray for prims within some vertical range around your current
>> elevation.
>>
> Certainly, for many sims, the overall appearance of the minimap is
> either entirely gray or almost entirely gray. That, in itself, seems
> to obviate the purpose of having an image in it at all :)
>
> Over time, though, the creeping gray has more or less trained me out
> of really using the minimap (except for spotting campers and bots). It
> doesn't provide me enough information to be useful on a day-to-day basis.
> --
> Tateru Nino
> http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/

That's why it would be useful to make it simply run off images loaded
from the map database, as it is hardly even useful when it does show a
few prims and the environment as it has very little to show at that
point, while the map database has a detailed map of the area around it
(unless it's one of the sims that purposefully trys to spell out or
place an image on the overall map).