No subject

Fri Jun 12 11:19:36 PDT 2009

objections to, is Emerald. This bothers me in a few ways.

First thing is I feel it will split development of group projects because
certain things won't make the "list". And will be deemed unacceptable, and
some developers will side with LL, some won't.

Then you have inevitable policy. If your viewer is not on the list, you can
be banned for using it. This will drive people away from third party viewers
faster than you could ever imagine. It also eliminates the problem for them.
Its hard to ban viewers, its easy to ban users.

The specific change that bothers me the most is that encrypted chat was
listed as an item that was against community standards or ToS. Chris Tuchs
spent the better part of an entire month implementing it and perfecting it
to the point it is at. I don't see any dev on the team jumping up and down
to remove it either. It's a very tightly coupled component and its only
purpose is to enhance privacy. If we don't remove it, we don't make the
registry, and if we are not on the registry they have reason to ban users of
it. You ban users, nobody will use the viewer out of fear.

Effectively, they are creating a method to leash legitimate developers of
third party clients to conform to their exact wishes, that will not do
anything to deter content theft or griefing. It is only a way to better
justify banning users of third party clients.

While I see it partially as a good idea, yes, I'd prefer we did not have a
thousand people running around stealing content or having griefing tools,
this isn't the way to do it.

--0015175cba34d6b09e04766702d3