[sldev] Deprecated protocol feature: stray colon in 500 response

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Mon Mar 2 13:53:27 PST 2009

Hi folks,

The current version of our server infrastructure for capabilities has a
misfeature in it, where 500 responses have a stray colon in them.
Capabilities are meant to be HTTP-compliant, but this stray colon is
not.  However, that incompatibility is required to maintain
compatibility with 1.20.17 and earlier viewers (and their derivatives).

Maintaining this situation is a pain, because coercing standards-based
infrastructure (like Apache) to do the wrong thing is a major pain.  We
eventually would like to eliminate this aberration from our
infrastructure, but that would mean that older viewers would stop
working.  We'll give you plenty of warning before actually changing this
infrastructure, but we figured it's best to get the technical
information out now so that this will hopefully be a moot point by the
time we announce a timeline.

We're asking that everyone who has a viewer based on 1.20.17 and older
to either upgrade to a newer base revision of the viewer (e.g. 1.21 or
later) or apply a fix as described here:
https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Deprecated_Protocol_Features#Deprecated_protocol_feature:__stray_colon_in_HTTP_500_responses_.28viewers_1.20.17_and_earlier.29

...with patches attached here:
https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/VWR-12248

Thanks!