[sldev] gstreamer

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Fri Mar 13 02:21:45 PDT 2009

On Thu, 12 Mar 2009 22:03:36 +0100, Jan Ciger wrote:

> Sean Linden wrote:
>
> > I wish I had the time to attempt to do a build - I have the same problem
> > - the viewer crashes immediately if I try to enable streaming. Voice
> > works, but not using pulseaudio. I have to kill pulseaudio before
> > starting SL, and if I don't need to use voice and I leave pulseaudio
> > running, the viewer will frequently hang or cause other audio apps to
> > hang, resulting in my needing to restart pulseaudio after quitting the
> > viewer.
>
> This issue with voice and pulseaudio is present in the 32bit build as
> well. For me, if I enable voice, the pulse server crashes after a short
> time resulting in an incredible racket (looping sample). Restarting
> pulse cures it, but then the client will lose sound until I restart it
> too. So voice is completely unusable on machines that are using
> pulseaudio right now. BTW, most modern distros are changing over to
> pulseaudio, so it would help to actually support it.

I personally got all audio device usage conflicts solved by getting rid
of ALSA and *all* sound wrappers/daemons (pulseaudio, esd, jackit, arts,
you name it) and installing OSS v4.1 (http://www.opensound.com/oss.html).

OSS got a transparent software mixer: any number of programs may use
/dev/dsp for example, and OSS takes care about mixing up everything
transparently for them. You will never get "in use audio device"
problems. Beside, the OSS sound drivers are much better than ALSA's,
and OSS is now Open Source as well, so why bothering with buggy ALSA
and sound wrappers/daemons any more ?...

Henri.