[sldev] gstreamer

Henri Beauchamp sldev at free.fr
Fri Mar 13 09:47:57 PDT 2009

On Fri, 13 Mar 2009 12:38:15 +0100, Jan Ciger wrote:

> Henri Beauchamp wrote:
>
> > I personally got all audio device usage conflicts solved by getting rid
> > of ALSA and *all* sound wrappers/daemons (pulseaudio, esd, jackit, arts,
> > you name it) and installing OSS v4.1 (http://www.opensound.com/oss.html).
> >

> Henri, that is unfortunately not an option for the majority of Linux
> users. They do not have neither the skills nor the means to install this
> version of OSS.

Did you try it at all ???  I doubt so...

It's as simple as downloading a package from OSS website and
installing it, just like you do with your distro packaging
mechanism (RPM and DEB and TAR are provided)...
And if your packaging mechanism is not supported, you got an
auto-extractible package (just run it and it will do the rest).

> Distros will not ship it, because it is not free (libre)
> software.

Sorry, but OSS v4 *is* Open Source...
http://developer.opensound.com/sources/

My bet is that given how more performant and easy is OSS (not to
mention the OSS API has been around since day one of audio support
in Linux and all software support it), it will replace the buggy,
extremely flacky and unfriendly ALSA in the future.
With OSS, you can get rid of *all* the stupid sound daemons and
not have to worry if this or that software will support them.

Henri.