[sldev] SLVoice and PulseAudio (was: gstreamer)

Geneko Nemeth kakurady at gmail.com
Sun Mar 15 16:57:40 PDT 2009

Indeeds the Vivox voice outputs in 32khz. (This particular Pulse server
defaults to s16le 2ch 44100Hz.)

But that doesn't make sense, does it? After all, if it's the server's
job to convert sample rates, why wolud the sound client be running at
full CPU? And Windows' audio stack does on-the-fly rate conversions all
the time, but there's not much a noticable performance impact.

Interestingly, if you turn on Voice (with Alsa-Pulse-Alsa) and look in
the debug log there's this line:
AL lib: alsa.c:616: set access failed: Invalid argument

Someone turn off Pulse and see what happens?

GCat/Kaku

*** Sink Input #98 ***
Driver: pulsecore/protocol-native.c
Owner Module: 1
Client: 62
Sink: 1
Sample Specification: s16le 2ch 44100Hz
Channel Map: front-left,front-right
Volume: 0: 100% 1: 100%
Buffer Latency: 72448 usec
Sink Latency: 23370 usec
Resample method: src-linear
Properties:
media.name = "ALSA Playback"
application.name = "ALSA plug-in [SLVoice]"
native-protocol.peer = "TCP/IP client from 127.0.1.1:47686"
native-protocol.version = "14"
application.process.id = "20184"
application.process.user = "nekoyasha"
application.process.host = "nekokoneko"
application.process.binary = "SLVoice"
application.language = "C"

*** Source Output #26 ***
Driver: pulsecore/protocol-native.c
Owner Module: 1
Client: 63
Source: 2
Sample Specification: s16le 1ch 32000Hz
Channel Map: mono
Buffer Latency: 14000 usec
Source Latency: 3318 usec
Resample method: src-linear
Properties:
media.name = "ALSA Capture"
application.name = "ALSA plug-in [SLVoice]"
native-protocol.peer = "TCP/IP client from 127.0.1.1:47687"
native-protocol.version = "14"
application.process.id = "20184"
application.process.user = "nekoyasha"
application.process.host = "nekokoneko"