[sldev] Continued GPL violations by Openlifegrid.com - Options?

Jason Giglio gigstaggart at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 11:55:59 PDT 2009

Gordon Wendt wrote:
> If You haven't already then pop an email off to licensing at lindenlab.com
> <mailto:licensing at lindenlab.com> as mentioned in the massively article
> and hope for the best.  On the broader issue, I'm no lawyer but I'm sure
> the people in LL's legal team realize that selective or nonenforcement
> of their rights makes it tougher for them to enforce their rights when
> they choose to

You are probably thinking of trademark law.  Copyright does not have
much of a concept of laches, because it has an express limitations period.

A court might not be sympathetic if you allowed infringement just to
increase the damages; such as waiting until a work you knew was
infringing hit public release to get more out of the lawsuit... but
other than that, you don't lose much by not enforcing a copyright promptly.

-Jason