[sldev] Continued GPL violations by Openlifegrid.com - Options?

Rob Lanphier robla at lindenlab.com
Fri Mar 20 14:02:13 PDT 2009

On 3/19/09 9:44 PM, Boy Lane wrote:

> I would like to ask everybody here, including Linden's, what your
> opinion about this is, and what eventual follow up actions would make
> sense. That's not about being a GPL fascist as Henri likes to say, but
> I think OLG / Sakai went here a bit too far. It concerns everyone who
> works with the viewer. For more details you may want to have a look at
> http://www.sluniverse.com/php/vb/other-grids-virtual-worlds/26798-openlifegrid-continues-violate-gpl.html

Insisting on GPL compliance is not fascism.  The license is quite
generous, far more than most proprietary software licenses.

My recommendation is that you make high-quality GPL violation reports to
the licensing at lindenlab.com alias.  What I mean by "high quality":  the
date which you received the binaries, the date which you requested the
source code, any correspondence that would indicate that compliance is
not forthcoming, and in particular, which part of the GPL you believe
the violator is in violation of.  Imagine your email being submitted as
evidence/testimony in a legal action.

Linden Lab will rarely, if ever, publicize legal disputes with third
parties, since that tends to have a negative effect on any conversation
intended to resolve the dispute.  So, please don't assume that lack of
public action is the same as lack of action.  That said, you should
never assume that we know about a particular violation, or that someone
else has surely already reported all of the information needed to
document the violation in such a way as to make it actionable.

Rob