[sldev] Linux standalone built WITH llmozlib

Alissa Sabre alissa_sabre at yahoo.co.jp
Sun Mar 22 20:56:30 PDT 2009

> > Qt?
> >
> > I'm very afraid SL switches to Qt from GTK, because I've been
> > investing a lot to GTK now...  (See VWR-2261 to know what I'm doing.)
>
> The mozlib engine and if its Qt/Gtk or anything else has very
> little/zero impact on the rest of the viewer so I would not fear that it
> will impact your other work.

I'm still have some difficulty regarding an issue identified by
SL-35450.  That is, llmozlib's use of some GTK API affected the SL
viewer's own XML parsing, and the viewer crushed under some condition.
The exact cause is related to GTK's assumption of raw X11 event
handling and the process' locale management.  (If you want more
details on this, please searc hthe old SLDev archive with the above
issue id.)

Currently, the workaround is included in the class LLWindowSDL,
assuming the SL viewer's use of GTK API is limited.  Because I'm
working on the area, I need to workaround (or, to eliminate if
possible) this issue ina different way.

I guess Qt has it's own event loop and locale management policy.  One
possibility is switching to Qt solves the issue at all, but another
possibility is it makes things work.  Anyway I can't easily believe
the change of llmozlib has no impact.

I will test the new QtWebKit based llmozlib to see what happens,
anyway.

    Alissa Sabre