[sldev] [I18N] localization of LSL editor hovertips possible?

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) q at lindenlab.com
Wed May 6 05:31:12 PDT 2009

On May 5, 2009, at 8:48 PM, Zai Lynch wrote:

> Heyas! :-)
>
> In order to provide a patch for WEB-1036, I looked into the current
> source and realized, that the hovertips of the LSL editor seem to be
> hardcoded in linden/indra/lscript/lscript_library/lscript_library.cpp
> At least this is my understanding so far (I'm not an expert and just
> guessing atm).
> Is it possible to localize them or is this an I18n bug/missing
> feature?
> Would it make sense to translate the text within lscript_library.cpp
> by now or is it unlikely to be any benefit (because it can't be
> implemented)?

When this was originally written, we didn't have the LLTrans object
(that pulls localized strings from strings.xml). It would be a good
thing to let these strings be localized.

However, the API for the LLScriptLibraryFunction constructor takes
const char* parameters for these hovertips, which means that the
change would have to be sweeping enough to change the API (I don't
think we'd want to make a change that doesn't convert them to strings).

Unfortunately, LLScriptLibrary is one of the parts of our code that is
common to both viewer and simulator. As such, we're noticeably less
likely to take open source patches. We'd certainly consider it, but it
would require a good JIRA and a high quality, extremely constrained
patch.