[sldev] SLDev Viewer--code review

Philippe Bossut (Merov Linden) merov at lindenlab.com
Wed May 6 19:21:45 PDT 2009

Hi,

I've been ruminating that one, especially the "live" aspect of it.
When it was proposed during the Hippo gathering I immediately said
"why not?". Reading Mike's writing though, I'm wondering. Some
elements of reflection:
- Code reviews are good: I personally learned a lot along the years
every time I was able to sit down with someone and go through code
line by line, being my code or the one of others.
- Committees are bad: That being said, doing this in a committee (i.e.
3 persons or more) is incredibly inefficient, unless the people know
each other really well. The human psychology usually moves the
objective of such gathering from "let's raise a barn together" to
"who's the king of the hill". Terrible.
- Live chat with others about code with some code in hand is a good
idea: Coming up to someone with a problem and chatting about it often
steers you in the right direction. And I'm a chatterbox so that suit
me really well but others might feel differently and shouldn't be
pushed out as a result.
- One can't ignore RL realities: A formal process imposing real time
constraints will leave part of the planet out (time zone conflicts).
*Speaking* English will also be challenging for lots of us (reading
and typing is easier). I for one am not a native english speaker and
though I'm doing well now with English (despite a horrendous French
accent), I do empathize with those who don't. In short, I'm wary of
making a formal real time voice enabled presentation a requirement.

With all that in hand. here's my stand on the subject:
- "Formal" (format TBD) code review need to happen on the list and/or
JIRA in writing: i.e. in the open, asynchronously, trackable. This is
how I've seen it done in other projects.
- Contributors *should* whenever possible get the help of others on
IRC and/or IW in ad-hoc sessions with a reviewer. Definitely, I hear
Mike's pledge for voice IW interaction. I miss it and I think it'll
help us get to know each other and smooth the kinks in that group.
Having an office hour of sort for some of us would make sense for
instance. I'd be willing to have one and see how it works. Any takers?

Cheers,
- Merov