[sldev] [IDEA][META] janitor and carwash branches

Boroondas Gupte sllists at boroon.dasgupta.ch
Sat May 16 14:15:31 PDT 2009

Hi all

It's already some time ago, that I proposed to manage a hg branch for
fast-track integration of trivial-to-review changes. (See
https://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/sldev/2009-May/thread.html#13610)

Based on the feedback I got I'd like to change the proposed setup to one
with two branches, slviewer-janitor and slviewer-carwash.

To both branches, the restrictions named in my original proposal will
apply. Additionally, the janitor branch would only include changes (not
counting the ones merged over from LL managed branches) that are local
(i.e. only touch some few lines of code) and that therefor are easy to
merge back upstream. This will probably mostly be typos, but if a recent
change in an LL managed branch messes up indentation of some single
lines and this can't or won't be fixed in that branch for some reason,
it could be fixed in the janitor branch.

The carwash branch would be based off the janitor branch and would be
the place for the rest of changes fitting the rules of the original
proposal. A typical example would be fixing long-ago messed up
indentation of a whole file, or even several ones. Automatic car wash
plants are usually one way, so don't expect stuff here to be merged back
upstream. (It would make merging between the various LL branches
difficult, see
https://lists.secondlife.com/pipermail/sldev/2009-May/013611.html .)
Splitting up a logical change into a lot of single-line commits to get
it into janitor instead of carwash wouldn't be accepted, of course,
because it would defeat the reason for this separation (and would make
review and merging even more troublesome).

Because changes in the janitor branch might never make it into any other
branches (or at least not until we find a more intelligent---maybe even
programming language aware---merge tool) , I won't encourage anyone to
create changes for it. But if someone creates them anyway, they're
welcome to send me pull requests :-)

Again, please let me know what you think.
Especially:

    * Would this be useful?
    * Is it doable?
    * (mainly @LL) Would you pull from slviewer-janitor?