[sldev] Hide geometry in Sculpted-prims

Dale Mahalko dmahalko at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:05:50 PDT 2009

Woohoo, GMail screwed up the monospacing AFTER it was sent, and the gmail
plain text mode doesn't match the formatted monospace in the regular view.
Sorry if that last email is incomprehensible.

Attempted fix, though who knows what it'll actually do when I hit send.

- Dale

On Sat, May 16, 2009 at 10:57 PM, Dale Mahalko <dmahalko at gmail.com> wrote:

> So you want to put a seam into the perfectly uniform mesh? I don't think
what you want can be done because it may break some existing sculpts that do
just happen to use the coordinate you mention. (We can't know that without
searching the assets for all sculpts ever made, but it is possible.)

> Also using 0,0,0 for seam generation takes out eight triangles around the
point, which burns two rows/columns of precious triangles.

> +----+----+----+----+
> |  .'|  .'|  .'|  ,'|
> |.'  |.'  |.'  |.'  |
> +----+----+----+----+
> |  .'|         |  ,'|
> |.'  |         |.'  |
> +----+    O    +----+  point to 0,0,0
> |  .'|         |  .'|  kills eight tris
> |.'  |         |.'  |
> +----+----+----+----+
> |  .'|  .'|  .'|  ,'|
> |.'  |.'  |.'  |.'  |
> +----+----+----+----+
>
> Might be workable to kill just six tris, though still lots to be killed
per jump to 0,0,0.

> +----+----+----+----+
> |  .'|  .'|  .'|  ,'|
> |.'  |.'  |.'  |.'  |
> +----+----+----+----+
> |  .'|  .'     |  ,'|
> |.'  |.'       |.'  |
> +----+    O    +----+  point to 0,0,0
> |  .'|       .'|  .'|  kills six tris
> |.'  |     .'  |.'  |
> +----+----+----+----+
> |  .'|  .'|  .'|  ,'|
> |.'  |.'  |.'  |.'  |
> +----+----+----+----+
>

> I am in favor of using the unused alpha channel for seaming information.
This allows just two tris to be killed if the alpha for a UV map point is
set to zero.

> Alpha map: (100% is totally transparent so no need to draw)
>  0%   0%   0%   0%
>  0%  100%  0%   0%
>  0%  100% 100%  0%
>  0%   0%   0%   0%
>
> Tris map:
> +----+----+----+----+
> |  .'|  .'|  .'|  .'|
> |.'  |.'  |.'  |.'  |
> +----+----+----+----+
> |  .'|KILL|  .'|  .'|
> |.'  |    |.'  |.'  |
> |  .'|KILL KILL|  .'|
>
> - Dale Mahalko / Scalar Tardis (ASCII artist)
>
> (If this email looks like a jumbled mess, use a monospace font to render
ASCII art correctly.)