[sldev] A thought on how to lower resources used by sensors

Ann Otoole missannotoole at yahoo.com
Mon May 18 17:37:57 PDT 2009

A lot of angry people today. (I don't recall how but for some reason I have known better than to take over 1000 items in a collection for more than a year.)

One thing about this topic is that the future attachment memory pool limitations may severely impact certain types of attachments such as scanners.
I have a scanner I love but am having to not use it anymore because it is part of the problem of sim performance using 0.8 milliseconds. I wonder how much memory it is eating.

I am all in favor of reducing the impact of data collectors that facilitate research and security as soon as possible.

As for the security aspect that drives a lot of scanner use cases I would like to be able to set, on the estate panel, a vertical limit on map teleporting.
That way I can construct a simple barrier to flight at that level and have a secure sky studio zone.

I.e.; set vertical map teleport limit to 2000 meters and construct a non sittable barrier above that level. They won't be able to see or get to what is at 4000 meters that way.

That would reduce the need for so many script heavy orbs in huge cube matrices in sims to keep the rippers away from work in progress. (as well as the odd occasional lothario that shows up offering male escort services while I am working and subsequently wondering why orbs seem to be unreliable now) :P

Just a thought.