[sldev] Linden Lab featured on datacenterknowledge.com

Kelly kelly at lindenlab.com
Tue May 19 08:29:45 PDT 2009

Laurent Laborde wrote:
> Linden Lab will expand the back-end for its Second Life virtual world
> to the East Coast, adding server infrastructure at the NAP of the
> Capital Region, a large data center operated by Terremark Worldwide in
> Culpeper, Virginia. The colocation agreement will help Second Life
> extend its 3D virtual world environment to support additional users.
> Read more at : http://www.datacenterknowledge.com/archives/2009/05/18/second-life-adds-east-coast-servers/
>
> Oh well... *sigh*
> Still not in Europe ... *whine*
>
> The bad latency (i have >200ms on SL sim from france, with a fiber
> optic line at home) is *really* a user experience killer :/

I can't speak to business decisions, however there are technical hurdles
to overcome before we can handle the kind of latency you describe within
our own infrastructure.  There is a lot of communication that happens
between hosts within our system - database access, asset system access,
sim to sim communication just for starters.  I agree 200ms pings suck,
I'm totally with you.  We even have offices in the UK, we know.  It just
isn't as simple as putting a few computers on that side of the ocean,
unfortunately.

As Ordinal says though, we are getting closer.  :)
/me keeps his fingers crossed.

 - Kelly