[sldev] Anyone here with OpenCV experience?

Dahlia Trimble dahliatrimble at gmail.com
Thu May 21 15:37:41 PDT 2009

Overkill? I'm not so sure. Consider the extreme variations in contrast that
something like this would be exposed to out in the field. Lighting is
uncontrolled and unpredictable. A major source of light on a user's face may
well come from the image shown on the monitor, and may reflect off of the
user's glasses. Facial features are variable and skin tone, eyebrow color,
and other facial hair could further confuse any detection methods.
Background lighting and objects other than the user could cause false
detections. Also the camera could not be controlled, Could one reasonably
expect users to purchase a standard webcam from a single vendor when many
computers come with integrated webcams?
Somehow I don't think simple methods demonstrated that in a lab environment
will perform well at all given all these potential confounds in all user
environments. Whatever is implemented would need to be subjected to
extensive user testing if any kind of wide acceptance would be desired.