[sldev] Anyone here with OpenCV experience?

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Thu May 21 21:34:43 PDT 2009

Jan Ciger wrote:
> [...]
> It would then be trivial to interface basically anything to SL, if the
> viewer would take camera matrix and allow avatar control from outside.
> And Lindens wouldn't have to maintain the device specific stuff neither.

I think some people are misunderstanding what is being asked for here. I
could be wrong myself but my understanding is that Philip and Merov's
intent is to simply translate user head movements into avatar gestures.
Even something as simple as recognizing when the user appears to be
nodding "yes" or shaking their head "no" and then triggering the
appropriate gestures would be extremely cool and worth implementing. I
didn't interpret anything in what was asked to suggest controlling the
camera, tracking gazes, or anything else. It certainly looks as if all
sorts of interesting ideas are being generated and should definitely be
captured. I certainly don't want to stop the brainstorming, but I think
it would be helpful to first see how we could most easily trigger head
gestures from video input before we attempt to design the best, most
powerful API and implementations for full VR/MC support in SL.

-Melinda