[sldev] Default FOV/FOV slider bar in graphics

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Sun May 24 01:05:28 PDT 2009

Soft wrote:
> On Sat, May 23, 2009 at 4:49 PM, Feilen <feilen1000 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I think that lowering the default FOV (field of view) whenever using SL
>> makes it much more immersive, however it always resets back to the
>> default. Could there be a way to keep the FOV when restarting SL or even
>> a slider bar in the graphics tab? That would be much better for those
>> with HMDs with a set FOV, which is much lower than the default (the one
>> I'm planning on obtaining is 32°).
>>

> Your best approach would be filing a JIRA at http://jira.secondlife.com
>
> If you want to follow up with discussion, there's an sl-ux mailing
> list for UI discussions

No need to do that. I already implemented both of those things in 1.23
though the slider is on the Camera & Input tab.

I find it funny that you want a narrower FOV because I was always
wanting a wider one, also for reasons of immersivity. Using a 32° angle
would look like you're wearing binoculars! Here's a great trick that
took me ages to figure out: Make your main window use the full width of
your screen. Then set the height to be roughly 1/2 of the width. Then
set the FOV to be nearly 180°. Note that I also fixed the bugs where you
could accidentally set view angles greater than 180° which would make a
mess of your view. In 1.23 you can just set the slider all the way to
the max or just hit ctrl-8 until it's maxed.

Enjoy!
-Melinda