[sldev] [HELP] C++ newbie needs help with first compilation

Maya Remblai snowfox102 at dragonkeepcreations.com
Mon May 25 20:13:40 PDT 2009

I looked in the archives but didn't see anything helpful there, so here
goes: I'd like to learn to tinker with the viewer source a bit, nothing
major, just applying patches and such. I've followed the directions on
the wiki and all seems fine until the "Building with CMake" step. It
says to run a command line, but CMake doesn't have a command line, it's
a GUI. Using the DOS prompt doesn't work. Randomly trying things made
Visual Studio start compiling, but it spit out some errors, one of which
was about a missing source file, fmod.h I believe it was. Can some one
direct me to some more detailed instructions? Ones that don't assume the
reader is already familiar with these programs?

Environment:
Windows XP Home
CMake 2.6.4
Latest Cygwin
Python 2.5
Windows SDK 6.1
DirectX SDK 9.24.1400
I set up Cygwin, CMake, and Python according to the directions.

Thanks
Maya Remblai