[sldev] Gesture client code

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Tue May 26 09:24:52 PDT 2009

Dzonatas Sol wrote:
> Attached is the basics of what is needed to get the gesture tracker to
> listen to a port and react. For now, I've left out the XML server
> socket bits and just cut it down to minimal code. The XML server
> socket works, I just don't want to confuse that with the request to
> simply read a UDP socket and react to a lookatPoint or gesture. (The
> XML server socket is my criteria)
>
> GestureTracker::init( LLPumpIO* ) is the entry starter.
>
> The questions I have so far are:
>
> * is this correct way to setup and use mLookAt and
> mLookAt->setLookAt() ?  Also, not sure yet if it can be init'd when
> mainLoop() starts or only after login.
> * I didn't find yet what attention type the head motion should have,
> but I picked free-look. If the position is updated, then the attention
> timer is reset or does it still time out?

I suspect we should add a new attention type specifically for
head-tracking devices. Its default priority can be similar to free-look
(I.E. low). I'm thinking that it should be just below free-look because
it's inputs will be less "intentional" by the user. (Conscious attention
should take precedence over unconscious attention.) I don't have the
code in front of me but I expect the timer will reset with each
effective input. It should be fine that these inputs come in almost
continuously because assuming the priority is low enough, then these
inputs will be easily overruled by higher priority attention inputs.

-Melinda