[sldev] [LINUX, PLUGINS] Snowglobe - high load due to Media Plugins

Opensource Obscure open at autistici.org
Fri Nov 13 07:14:55 PST 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 20:03:31 +0100, Tayra Dagostino
<tayra.dagostino at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 11:11:34 +0000
> Opensource Obscure <open at autistici.org> wrote:
>

>> I have 4 or 5 plugins processes taking 10-15%
>> CPU each one: system load goes until 5-6-7,
>> while it's usually at 1.
>> The very bad detail about this is that that
>> media were disabled at all.
>
> Ive noticed this and notified with my mail
> Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 00:47:16 +0200
> but no feedback, so i supposed it is only a my problem (hardware,
> modules, configuration, etc.) and not a spread wide bug...
>
> but i can confirm after 1h the child process of SLPlugin take 99% of my
> procs (i've a quad core), and i see about 5-6 child (don't understand
> why... 1 audio stream, 1 multimedia stream, maybe 1 gesture with *.wav
> sound, but all other child are really a requirement to let viewer work?)
>
> on my sim i login with 87-90fps, i don't move, but i turn on audio and
> multimedia, after 2h i have less than 15fps and all core with a high
> load caused by SLPlugin

a small update:

- I can kill the SLPlugin processes, and this doesn't affect
the main SL viewer process

- when I kill each SLPlugin process, a floater appears with the
information:
The following Media Plugin has failed: media_plugin_webkit

- after killing plugin processes, CPU load goes back to usual values
:)

bye
opensource obscure