[sldev] 64bit of sl?

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Fri Nov 27 04:47:28 PST 2009

On Fri, Nov 27, 2009 at 03:57:45AM -0800, Stickman wrote:
> with 64-bit support. But doubling the number of clients the devs have
> to maintain sounds like it could cause issues. I dunno.

Doubling? Now you make no sense.

The code is exactly the same as currently, there would be some
time needed to get it rolling, but after that 64bit virtually
needs no extra maintenance time.

I wrote several libraries myself (libecc and libcwd come to mind)
that were first only 32bit and later I added support for 64bit,
were I REALLY added new code to really support 64bit: libecc runs
twice as fast on 64bit as on a 32bit processor, simply because it
does twice as much in parallel; libcwd needed explicit support
for 64 ELF on top of 32 bit. Looking back I'd say: both were
ONE week work tops, and afterwards there was no extra maintenance
required (but then again... I write bugfree code, so I don't need
any maintenance at all :p).

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>