[sldev] Client detection and official viewer signatures.

Nexii Malthus nexiim at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 17 16:35:48 PDT 2009

Emerald has moved over to Client-to-Client communication via Instant
Messages. For client detection every single agent that comes into presence
gets spammed by Emerald 4 times to test for the presence of the c2c
communication API. (Not sure why it spams 4 times, even though I never ever
had a IM packet lost so far)

Snowglobe won't be getting exotic features like this any soon, since they
are all basically hacks designed to circumvent the slow progress by the
propietary simulator code development.

Back on topic, breaking compatibility IS breaking content, the same way if
you render a HTML tag somewhat differently you might be breaking millions of
websites. Websites can adapt though because they can see use the user agent,
we just don't have that luxury in SL yet.

- Nexii