[sldev] 3rd party viewer policy post on blogs.secondlife.com

Mike Dickson mike.dickson at hp.com
Wed Oct 21 08:14:37 PDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-10-21 at 15:03 +0000, Anders Arnholm wrote:
> The big problem is whan you send your viewer out, if it should be in any
> whay possible to send data to the server "HEY I'm the good viewer from
> Balp. My secret is, ALLEN" The users computer have to get the secret,
> The minute the user have the secret oin there own computer that can
> extraxt it. Put in into there own what ever to tell the servers "HEY
> I'm the good viewer from Balp. My secret is, ALLEN". This will make any
> try to use this for any identifications on the LL side impossible.

Right, code signing could tell a *user* the original source of the
viewer but can't in any way that I know be used to identify over the
wire that the viewer is valid in a way thats not spoofable.

Perhaps if the focus is making content creators happy that's enough.
Though I don't see a mechanism here for LL to enforce attempts to grief
or steal content using a specific viewer.

Mike