[sldev] 3rd party viewer policy post on blogs.secondlife.com

Dzonatas Sol dzonatas at gmail.com
Wed Oct 21 13:34:50 PDT 2009

At a glance, this is actually positive even if it seems to knudge
further restrictions, yet in a bigger picture this move is less
restrictive and reflects more of real world needs and not just a mindset
that everything is virtual that the viewer/immersion touches upon.

While I work on a C# version of the viewer with as much as the original
C++ LL code possible, I also realize now that it is best not to keep a
lot of the features that come with the viewer now. For example, the way
the map works now. It would require lots of code to be rewritten to make
it work in a separate window and in C# code. I finally decided just to
ax the map entirely and make it a separate app, which would mean it
would have its own network code, or maybe somehow use a shared library.
If you have your security aware mindset on, you probably see where this
could lead and the positive position that is created.

For one, why would the map app need access to network code that handles L$?

You can copy these comments over to the forum. Thanks