[sldev] Tip of the iceberg...

Argent Stonecutter secret.argent at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 18:35:01 PDT 2009

On 2009-09-01, at 09:10, Lawson English wrote:
> Well, drawing to a shared-memory bitmap isn't hard at all, but
> unless your application already has provisions for drawing to
> arbitrary shared memory via an externally-provided pointer, you
> still need to work something up to actually use that pointer,
> regardless of what API you're drawing with. If nothing else, how
> does your program know which bit of memory to use since this isn't
> provided via the normal windowing system?

It is provided by the normal windowing system. I'm not talking about
modifying the application, I'm talking about nesting the application
window at the OS level. This has been routine on the X Window System
for 20 years, I was using an app that virtualized GDI on Windows in
1999, and every window in OS X is an OpenGL texture already.