[sldev] SnowGlobe and copybots

Aleric Inglewood aleric.inglewood at gmail.com
Wed Sep 2 04:14:14 PDT 2009

On Tue, Sep 1, 2009 at 8:59 PM, mal<malachi at tamzap.com> wrote:
> i hate to sound like a bad seed here. because i hate copybot just as much as
> the next resident. copying your prims and textures is one thing. when they
> fully highjack your assets including your scripts. violating the copy modify
> and transfer rights thats another issue.

I do not work for Linden Lab or am in any way affiliated with them
(as, I hope, was already clear :p).

Thus, totally independent, I have done research in this area and I can
assure you that it is impossible with the current server versions to
steal someones scripts.

The only way someone can get scripts is when:

* They can modify the object that contains the script
* The script has permissions modify AND copy AND transfer
* The either own the object, or the script is explicitely set
  "Share with Group" and they are in that group.

I'd think that is MORE than secure (I think there are more situations
in which one should be able to see a script).

This research was independent of viewer; it is about what rights the
server grants you.