[sldev] UI events: (VWR-10924) Magical scripted HUD/UI

Carlo Wood carlo at alinoe.com
Sat Sep 5 05:13:51 PDT 2009

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 10:57:29AM -0400, Mike Monkowski wrote:
> You would expect that mouse-down on a button, move away, mouse-up off
> the button would send just the mouse-down event, but there's no
> guarantee that it doesn't send a mouse-up event when moving away from
> the button.  I have to run the trace function to see what actually
> happens.
>
> I know that the atomic event are usually sent and the event handler
> decides what to act upon, but in this case, we're sending messages over
> the chat channel, and less is better.

It's not just less is better, you have to take into account several
hunderd ms of lag. The main point of handling as much as possible
locally is to get an immediate response to user action as much as
possible and only delays when the user 'naturally' expects one:
when the result of his actions are only visible in-world.
Any visible change in the floater itself much be local.

--
Carlo Wood <carlo at alinoe.com>