[sldev] Autotranslation build to try out

Lawson English lenglish5 at cox.net
Wed Sep 9 08:12:21 PDT 2009

Jo Grant wrote:
> By what mechanism is the translation done? If it's not local, what is
> the transport mechanism to and from the translation service?
> I've done a lot of work on chat translation and you can't forget the
> privacy concerns. Not that Second Life chat is secure anyway, but
> people are going to want to know who their chats are being sent to. If
> it's going up and down the line via https, or some other secured
> transfer protocol, that's one step. However, a picky person would say
> that if the service logs the text submitted for translation (which
> Google does, to build up it's dictionaries) than it is a violation of
> the terms of service.
> Just saying...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Jo /Jaymin Carthage

Gack my suggestion for "any" url merely compounds the issue you bring
up. Because it would let someone forward all private/group IM to some
arbitrary URL as part of the built-in GUI of the viewer. This violates
the obvious rule of thumb that you cite to not provide a GUI that
directly violates the TOS.

Lawson