[sldev] RE SnowGlobe and copybots

Nexii Malthus nexiim at googlemail.com
Fri Sep 11 05:22:37 PDT 2009

Sure, but it was blown out of perception, there wasn't any information
actually shared, just primarily lies and deceit behind an impervious wall of
good intention. People weren't informed about what copybot really was. A
bunch thought that the copybot didn't even need to be in the sim but
anywhere on the grid. Etc. It was really out of proportion, becoming
mythological even. And mythology can be a far worse problem, people then
retaliate for the wrong reasons or from a wrong angle. It becomes
unscientific. The whole copybot problem can even become worse than it could
ever have been in reality.

In concept it is pretty much linear with the MPAA and Pirates. People are
starting to dispute whether spending all that money on anti-piracy is of
benefit at all. And scientific studies being carried out how pirates helped
brand awareness and recognition, as well as to monopolize software markets
(Photoshop anyone?). Was there ever a loss? Would that person stealing ever
have contributed in the first place?

I'm not saying they are good people for doing this, but I think its all been
handled so childish and immaturely. People seem to be oblivious to the
effectiveness of DMCA and Copyright Infringement abuse report as well. In
fact, LL is far more experienced and capable at handling these now too than
ever before.

- Nexii