[sldev] New to the list with a complicated question.

Anna Gulaev annagulaev at gmail.com
Tue Sep 29 18:51:51 PDT 2009

Hi, Whump. Is there a reason you recommend against sniffing headers for the
user agent? I recognize that some people run browsers that allow them to
change this, but they are few and they likely don't spoof it to look like
the SL browser, and if they do, not displaying flash for them probably won't
cause them physical harm :-)

I suspect the number of users who browse with Javascript disabled is larger
than the number that spoof their user agent. I try not to do things that
require javascript, because I'm one of those pesky users that disables
javascript, so I know what it's like to view websites that are missing
content that shouldn't require javascript.

Of course there's the concern that by not displaying flash for the SL
browser you risk not automatically taking advantage should it be able to
display flash in the future. Is this what you're getting at?

Thanks,
Anna