[sldev] Calculating accurate avatar positions

Nexii Malthus nexiim at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 8 05:54:08 PST 2010

I was thinking of different ways to approach it and improve the prediction
code. One thing that doesn't seem to be taken into account is rotation
velocity in relation to the linear velocity/position prediction. (Imagine
moving around in a circle, and rubberbanding in a tangent out of the circle
constantly as you lag)

Also a maximum distance for the prediction to run on so it doesn't keep
predicting forever. Tracking the linear and angular velocity in cubic
interpolation seems handy and much more seamless from testing. (I use it
often in LSL scripts for vehicles when two vehicles need to keep track of
each other accurately when 'attached', it works really well and could be
applied to the client for avatar prediction too in a similiar sense)

Just some ideas I was fleshing out over time since I am in the combat
community and lag can be destructive to the high-speed experience.

- Nexii

On Fri, Jan 8, 2010 at 1:37 PM, Aleric Inglewood <aleric.inglewood at gmail.com