[sldev] SL 2.0?

Ann Otoole missannotoole at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 10 17:37:00 PST 2010

Sculpties are blobs of melted plastic compared to mesh. (Assuming mesh import is not just a new sculpty that loses all the fine detail when rezzed)

When mesh is delivered (correctly) then people will want the better looking mesh based content. Things will change. And a lot of money will change hands when it does. And if LL takes the technology farther out to where it needs to be so we can construct completely custom avatars to go with all the better more detailed builds then all the better.

However there will continue to be a need for low geometry sims for the corporate and educational use cases as well as for people entering SL with less than optimal hardware. Then, if they want to have a good experience with the more detailed areas and builds, they can choose to upgrade.

So the "game" will change. For those that can afford it.

As for bringing tools into the viewer well that SL v2 has to be open source and then some clever person with time and motivation on their hands can bring in the functionality from the open source 3D modelers that makes sense to be brought in. And that interface will still be necessarily more complex than the normal resident can use so the question must be asked why bother when you can work in a purpose built design environment and upload the model file.