[sldev] SL 2.0?

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Sun Jan 10 19:34:31 PST 2010

Meshes will give an amazing improvement to the flexibility of building
but they will not be a replacement for most current uses of sculpties.
Sure, some cases where people have managed to painfully create polygonal
forms will be more efficiently remodeled using meshes, but all of the
lovely organically shaped models that have been modeled using sculpties
will be best left just as they are.

This is not a boon for the user resource haves versus have-nots, or if
it is, it's the other way around from what you describe in that it will
be a boon for people with low-end systems who will be able to experience
the same levels of realism they currently enjoy but with faster frame
rates that will be possible when inefficient built prim and sculpty
content is replaced with more efficient mesh versions.

I don't think that it will be even possible for open-source developers
to bring mesh modeling into SL. Aside from overall transforms and
textures, I doubt that it will be possible to edit the topology of
existing meshes any more than it is possible to edit existing textures.
I therefore agree with you that it makes the most sense to do all mesh
editing using external tools. What you lose in the community experience
of collaborative building that Lawson mentions, you gain in the ability
to make really efficient models and to easily make portable back-ups of
your work. The back-up feature is the one that has long kept me from
investing much effort into content generation but now it gets a lot more
attractive to me and probably to professional 3D modelers as well.

-Melinda