[sldev] SL 2.0?

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) q at lindenlab.com
Wed Jan 13 21:55:33 PST 2010

On Jan 13, 2010, at 11:42 PM, Dale Mahalko wrote:

> There are other important questions to ask about SL 2.0.
>
> Will the mesh implementation... <SNIP>

NO.

I don't know how the mesh rumor got started, but it's already been stated in this thread that 2.0 will NOT include mesh support. All the questions are interesting, but they don't apply yet.

> If LL's history is any indication, SL 2.0 will just assume by default
> that everyone has a 50 megabit Internet connection, and if you have a
> mere 256 kbit you are not going to be able to do much of anything.
> (Where's the official support for an organizational-level proxied
> asset/texture cache? I've pretty much given up hope that LL will ever
> care about its limited-bandwifth users with a huge number of people on
> a limited pipe, like at schools.)

Well, I'd like it if you wouldn't give up hope. It's a hard problem, and you're not likely to see much change in viewer 2.0. But with the advent of lighter-weight computing devices at all levels, we do have to evolve a more bandwidth-flexible set of protocols, and it's an issue that has become a regular part of our thinking as we consider the future.