[sldev] Local textures for fast editing; was: SL 2.0?

Tateru Nino tateru.nino at gmail.com
Tue Jan 19 03:33:15 PST 2010

With about a half an hour extra coding and a couple simple processes you
could use that to lash up an alternate texture delivery network,
bypassing the grid's own asset servers entirely, if you wanted to. It'd
be relatively trivial. Heck, I can think of a couple existing
infrastructures that could be overloaded for delivery and routing.

Granted, there would be concerns of trust and security, of course.

On 19/01/2010 7:21 PM, Nexii Malthus wrote:
> Fully agree to Stickman here.
>
> Seems like it might be a fairly small challenge to implement, skipping
> the upload pipeline and a mechanism to keep/refresh the asset locally.
>
> It doesn't have to be fantastically complicated, the feature would
> serve a single purpose. It ought to be able to handle multiple local
> textures though, not just a single one, just because it could.
>
> - Nexii

>>> That JIRA describes quite another thing.  Although it gets around the upload
>>> charge, it still requires an upload.  It is still done on the servers.
>>>
>> You make a very good point. Local files would be much faster. That's a
>> good advantage to local files. Server files would let other people see
>> the changes, which is a different advantage.
>>
>> Your goal you state is exactly my goal. Make editing simpler and faster.
>>
>> But in his Jira it says:
>> "If it points to a local file, that cuts out the upload time AND the
>> download time..."
>>
>> He points out the existence of "temporary uploads" as existing in
>> other clients, then expands on the idea in the same way I did. Like
>> me, he doesn't care if it uses local files or these temporary uploads,
>> he just wants textures to auto-update while you're building.
>>
>> That's the whole point: Auto-updating temporary assets (server or
>> local, who cares) so you can see your work in progress.
>>
>> If they were done serverside, I'd handle the "lag" or wait of a round
>> trip and love the fact other people could watch. If they were done
>> clientside, I'd love the speed of change and deal with the fact other
>> people couldn't see me work. I just want the tool.
>>
>> -Stickman
>> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev
>> Please read the policies before posting to keep unmoderated posting privileges

> http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/SLDev

Tateru Nino
http://dwellonit.taterunino.net/