[sldev] Wiki "Viewer Roadmap" update?

Kent Quirk (Q Linden) q at lindenlab.com
Thu Jan 21 17:28:37 PST 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 7:35 PM, Mike Monkowski wrote:

> Kent Quirk (Q Linden) wrote:
>> As Howard just announced today:
>> https://blogs.secondlife.com/community/technology/blog/2010/01/21/coming-soon-viewer-2-public-beta
>> we're close to release of Viewer 2. I will commit to updating this roadmap once Viewer 2 is released. We're being asked to keep relatively tight-lipped until then. I still won't be able to talk about everything, but we should be able to say a lot more.
>
> "The current viewer, version 1.23, will not go away any time soon. In the earliest case, following the policy T described here, 1.23 will be around until 30 days after we ship Viewer 2.1 (our first update to the new viewer), about a quarter after delivery of Viewer 2. Even then, there will continue to be open source viewers based on the 1.23 code base available for users who wish to continue using them."
>
> "We've got a bit of work to do to rebase Snowglobe off of the Viewer 2 code base and merge in Snowglobe changes, but we're on it."
>
> "We need help from our robust, passionate developer community to develop "power user" and more niche market viewers."
>
> So Snowglobe goes newbie 2.0, but you expect the open source community to develop off the old code base?

No -- but also don't expect everyone will adapt. Our intent is to have Snowglobe rebased as quickly as we can pull it off.

> I hate it already.  And the secrecy gives me more time to hate it more.

Um, ok.

> "If you're a software development geek, you might be interested to know that we're in the thick of a substantial transition in how we build software. Most of our teams have moved to a Scrum-inspired model, keeping iterations short, quality high and working off of a clearly prioritized product backlog."
>
> Seven months (and counting) is a short iteration?  Using the buzzwords doesn't make it Agile.

He said we're changing. It's taken time to change systems and processes. And, by the way, having short iterations doesn't mean releasing every iteration. So the snark is a bit misplaced. We've been silent; we haven't released anything in a while -- that's true. We're changing -- but I don't suppose you have to believe us until we prove it. It's my stated intention, as the lead of the viewer development team, to prove it. I can see it from here, so I'm excited about it.