[sldev] build 3109

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Thu Jan 21 17:31:37 PST 2010

I have a suggestion for a solution that gives the best of both worlds by
not adding extra controls, keeps the most common action one click away,
and still lets you get at the other person-to-person actions with the
least extra effort. The solution is to use a "flyout" button instead of
regular buttons. The viewer currently uses one for the "Communicate"
toolbar button and another for the "Save" button in the snapshot tool
when set to save to disk. Take the snapshot case: It looks just like a
"Save" button and works as you would expect, but there is an additional
"Save As" option under the drop-down triangle control.

I've mocked up the XML to show what it would look like in an IM tab. See
the attached a screen shot. Here's the XML for reference:

  <flyout_button bottom="-40" follows="left|top" height="20"
label="Teleport" left="5"
       list_position="below" mouse_opaque="true" name="tp_btn"
tool_tip="Offer teleport"
       width="85">
    <flyout_button_item value="profile"
name="profile_item">Profile</flyout_button_item>
    <flyout_button_item value="teleport"
name="tp_item">Teleport</flyout_button_item>
    <flyout_button_item value="im" name="im_item">IM</flyout_button_item>
    <flyout_button_item value="call"
name="call_item">Call</flyout_button_item>
    <flyout_button_item value="pay" name="pay_item">Pay</flyout_button_item>
  </flyout_button>

Neat, eh? Using this approach we can use whichever default operation
makes the most sense in each situation, with the rest of the operations
in the drop-down. If desired, we can probably even code it to
automatically switch defaults depending upon friend online status, etc.
Users who do not know about or discover the added functionality will be
no worse off then they would be with the button schemes being considered
here, and once they learn about the additional options, they will come
to expect the same pattern in other P2P situations. The only thing that
remains to be decided is the default behavior in each situation. We can
continue to debate that here but this appears to solve the main problem
of having either too many controls or not enough.

-Melinda