[sldev] build 3109

Melinda Green melinda at superliminal.com
Fri Jan 22 14:27:59 PST 2010

Mike Monkowski wrote:
> Melinda Green wrote:
>> Mike Monkowski wrote:

>>> Reducing the clutter is a noble goal, but flyout buttons do have a
>>> discoverability issue, so they're more likely to steepen the
>>> learning curve rather than flatten it.
>>

>> A flyout button won't steepen the learning curve because it will be
>> no more confusing that it is currently. Discoverability of the new
>> functionality is certainly a consideration, but once learned in one
>> context, users will quickly discover (and expect) it in others.
>
> OK, I may be just an exception, but it was months before I
> accidentally clicked on the triangle next to "Say" and discovered the
> "Shout" and "Whisper."  I've now been using SL for years but just
> recently noticed the flyout on "Communicate" while I was working with
> the UI code.  Was that there the whole time?

I don't know, but these flyout options are clearly power-user features
similar to right-click actions. They should never be required for normal
operation, and given that you've gotten along so far without the ones
you mentioned, it seems to have worked. The holy grail UI is one in
which  new users only see the common important elements, yet still
allows more experienced users to discover helpful new tips and tricks. I
think that the flyout button is underused in this way which is probably
why it took me so long to think of using it as a unified P2P control.

-Melinda